1. Under which rules Civil Service Examination (CSE) is conducted?
Civil Services Examination (CSE) is conducted as per provisions contained in the Civil Service Examination Rules notified every year by the Department of Personnel and Training, Government of India and published on the website of the Union Public Service Commission (UPSC).
2. What will be the number of vacancies to be filled on the basis of result of a particular Civil Services Examination?
The number of vacancies is specified in the notice issued by the Union Public Service Commission, after getting the details from various cadre controlling authorities (CCAs) for the services to which recruitment is made by the Central Government on the basis of Civil Services Examination (CSE).
3. To how many services am I eligible to be recruited on the basis CSE?
Recruitment is generally made to the following services on the basis of Civil Service Examination:
1. The Indian Administrative Service (IAS)
2. The Indian Foreign Service (IFS)
3. The Indian Police Service (IPS)
4. The Indian P and T Accounts and Finance Service.
5. The Indian Audit and Accounts Service.
6. Indian Revenue Service (Customs and Central Excise),
7. The Indian Defence Accounts Service
8. The Indian Revenue Service, (IT).
9. The Indian Ordnance Factories Service.
10. The Indian Postal Service.
11. The Indian Civil Accounts Service.
12. The Indian Railway Traffic Service.
13. The Indian Railway Accounts Service.
14. The Indian Railway Personnel Service.
15. Post of Assistant Security Commissioner in Railway Protection Force.
16. The Indian Defence Estates Service.
17. The Indian Information Service.
18. Indian Trade Service
19. Indian Corporate Law Service.
20. Armed Forces Headquarters Civil Service, Group 'B' (Section Officer's Grade).
21. Delhi, Andaman and Nicobar Islands, Lakshadweep. Daman and Diu and Dadra and Nagar Haveli Civil Service, Group 'B'.
22. Delhi, Andaman and Nicobar Islands, Lakshadweep, Daman and Diu and Dadra and Nagar Haveli Police Service. Group 'B'.
23. Pondicherry Civil Service, Group 'B'.
24. Pondicherry Police Service, Group 'B'.
The above mentioned services are categorized into technical services and non-technical services. Based on your medical report, you are either eligible/fit only for all non-technical services (not fit for technical services), both eligible/fit for technical as well as all non-technical services (fit for all services) or eligible/fit for non-technical and some of the technical services or eligible/fit for none of the technical as well as non-technical service (unfit for all services).
4. What is a Technical Service
Those services are treated as Technical Services which require special medical status in terms of vision, height, chest, chest expansion etc.
The Technical services under CSE are as follows.
1. The Indian Railway Traffic Service, Group 'A'.
2. Railway Protection Force (RPF) Group A,
3. Indian Police Service, Gr. A,
4. Delhi, Andaman and Nicobar Islands, Lakshadweep, Daman and Diu and Dadra and Nagar Haveli Police Service. Group 'B'.
5. Pondicherry Police Service, Group 'B'
6. Indian Ordinance Factories Service (IOFS) Group A.
5. Who is eligibile to appear in the Civil Service Examination?
1. For the Indian Administrative Service and Indian Police Service, a candidate must be a citizen of India.
2. For other Services, a candidate must be either (a) a citizen of India, or (b) a subject of Nepal, or (c) a subject of Bhutan, or (d) a Tibetan refugee who came over to India before the 1st January, 1962 with the intention of permanently settling in India, or (e) a person of Indian origin who has migrated from Pakistan, Burma (Myanmar), Sri Lanka, East African countries of Kenya, Uganda, the United Republic of Tanzania, Zambia, Malawi, Zaire and Ethiopia or Vietnam with the intention of permanently settling in India:
a) Provided that a candidate belonging to categories (b), (c), (d) and (e) shall be a person in whose favour a certificate of eligibility has been issued by the Government of India :
b) Provided further that candidates belonging to categories (b), (c) and (d) above will not be eligible for appointment to the Indian Foreign Service.
c) A candidate in whose case a certificate of eligibility is necessary may be admitted to the examination but the offer of appointment may be given only after the necessary eligibility certificate has been issued to him/her by the Government of India.
6. Whether a candidate who is allocated to one of the services participating in the Civil Service Examination can again appear in the Civil Service Examination for improvement?
Yes, except those who have been allocated to the Indian Administrative Service (IAS)/Indian Foreign Service (IFS).
7. What is the provision for reservation in Civil Service Examination?Reservation is made for candidates belonging to SC/ST/OBC and PH candidates in respect of vacancies as may be fixed by the Government.
8. What is date for issue of Caste Certificate?Candidates seeking reservation/relaxation benefits available for SC/ST/OBC/PH/Ex-servicemen must ensure that they are entitled to such reservation/relaxation as per eligibility prescribed in the Rules/Notice. They should also be in possession of all the requisite certificates in the prescribed format in support of their claim as stipulated in the Rules/Notice for such benefits, and these certificates should be dated earlier than the due date (closing date) of the application for CSE (Prelims)
9. Whether any posts are reserved for persons with disability (PH) in CSE?Yes. 3% of posts, 1% each for Visually Impaired (VI) , Hearing Impaired (HI) and Locomotor Disability and Cerebral Palsy(LDCP) is permissible in services (except those which have obtained exemption from M/o SJ and E) participating in CSE.
10. Is there any provision for appeal against the findings of medical examination?Yes. If a candidate who is not satisfied with the findings of the medical board he/she may file an appeal to DOPT in the prescribed format, which should reach DOPT within seven working days from the date of publication of medical report on the website. No fee will be charged from candidates for filing an Appeal with effect from Civil Service Examination, 2014.
Click HERE to get details about number of attempts, upper age limit, medical examinations and many more.