|Devyani Khobragade, 1999 batch IFS|
1. A 1999 batch IFS officer, Ms Khobragade is currently a Deputy Consul General in Consulate of India, New York. Earlier, she had worked in the political divisions of the Indian missions in Pakistan, Italy and Germany.
2. 39-year-old diplomat is the daughter of a retired IAS officer of Maharashtra cadre, Uttam Khobragade. Also, Dr Ajay M Gondane, a 1985 batch IFS and High Commissioner of Papua New Guinea, is her uncle.
3. Hailing from India’s financial capital Mumbai, Ms Khobragade went to Mount Carmel School and then studied medicine at Seth GS Medical College and KEM Hospital, Parel in Mumbai.
4. In 2012, she was selected for Chevening Rolls-Royce Science and Innovation Leadership Programme and completed the course.
5. Khobragade is proficient in English, Hindi, German and Marathi.
6. Married to a professor, Khobragade is the mother of two daughters aged six and three. “Apart from proudly raising two beautiful girls, she also wishes to contribute towards dalit and gender equality in her country”, her profile among 2012 Rolls-Royce scholars says.
7. Her passion? Travelling, reading, yoga, music and dancing.
8. “I am helping to change the way the world sees arts education. Join me in supporting ProjectArt”, Khobragade tweeted earlier this month, mentioning about her involvement in a non-profit venture.
9. Unlike some of her colleagues in IFS, Khobragade is not very active in social media. Among those who she follows in Twitter include US president Barack Obama, Indian Prime Minister Manmohan Singh, former India’s ambassador to US Nirupama Rao and telecom guru Sam Pitroda.
10. Khobragade is a big fan of James Eugene “Jim” Carrey, a Canadian American actor, comedian and producer.