|A 17th Century Painting on Rape and Atrocities|
1) The definition of rape needs to be amended to include penetration by a foreign body without consent and forced sexual activity of any kind.
2) Marital rape has to be accepted as rape, equivalent to rape by any other person.
3) Since the law now accepts homosexuality, rape of a male has to be recognised.
4) Punishment for such rape should be rigorous imprisonment of a length as found appropriate by the proportionality test, but not less than five years. However, castration and other abnormal kinds of punishment are repugnant to a civilised society and should not be included.
5) On the lines of the rape law of Norway, a separate section defining aggravated rape including gang rape, and violent assault with the intention to cause bodily harm, including acid attacks, needs to be created. Any rape of a minor below 12 years of age should also be treated as aggravated rape. This section must attract life imprisonment (till death, not till fourteen years) and death penalty as punishment.
6) Rape proved to be committed by a juvenile must attract the same punishment as in the case of others after the convict attains majority.
7) The section on molestation/outraging the modesty of a woman needs to clearly include stalking, stripping, and any other action with the intent to insult and harm a female on the basis of gender. Punishment in these cases should be a minimum of three years RI.
8) Opaque boundary walls should not be allowed to be of a height exceeding 4 feet. If a higher fencing is needed for a security reason it should be made of wires or bars.
9) Liquor shops should not be allowed near bus stops or metro station entry points.
10) Self-defence classes should be made mandatory for girls from Class VI onwards.