Saurabh Kumar is a 2003 batch AUGMUT cadre Indian Forest Service officer. And very soon, this IFoS officers will work with IFS officers posted in Russia. Yes, Kumar has been appointed to the post of counselor (co-ordinations) in the Embassy of Moscow in place of P Mohanty, a 1987 batch Indian Ordnance Factories Service office, for a period of three years. It’s unusual but…well within the rules to appoint a Indian Forest Service or any other Group “A” service officer in Indian missions abroad. It’s for two reasons. First, there has been a shortage of Indian Foreign Service (IFS) officers. There are approximately 600 career diplomats in India, and the annual intake of officers is merely about eight to 15. And these 600 officers need to man 162 Indian missions apart from serving in the ministry of extern affairs (MEA).
Secondly, some Indian missions need expertise other than diplomacy alone. For example, IAS or other Group “A” service officers with experiences in working in the ministry of finance or commerce are appointed in foreign missions of India for assignments related to trade, economy and commerce.Kumar, who will move to Moscow now, has been currently working as deputy secretary in the ministry of defence. He is 40 years old.
There have however been a handful of Indian Forest Service officers who got posting in foreign locations. For example, 1984 batch IFoS officer Sanjay Kumar has been working as an executive director in Climate Parliament, London.
Here are a few other appointment orders issued by the government on Friday.
1. Anindita Sinharay, a 2002 batch Indian Statistical Service officer, has been appointed as director in the department of financial services for a period of five years.
2. Urmi Shrivastava, a 2002 batch Indian Ordnance Factories Service officer, has been appointed as director in the ministry of defence for a period up to May 9, 2019.
3. Sidhil Sasi, a 2001 batch Indian Statistical Service officer, has been appointed as director in the department of investment and public asset management for a period of five years.
4. Sanjay Kumar, a 1992 batch Nagaland cadre IAS, has been appointed as joint secretary in the department of school education and literacy.
5. Harekrishna, a 2005 batch Manipur-Tripura cadre IAS, has been appointed as director of Census Operations (DCO)/Director of Citizen Registration (DCR) (deputy secretary level), Manipur for a period of three years.