OFFICER trainees of various services such as IAS, IPS and other Group “A” services are always taken to Rashtrapati Bhavan for a meeting with the President of India. A couple of days ago, probationers of Indian Information Service, Indian Trade Service and Indian Posts and Telecommunication Accounts and Finance Service called on the President. The President always makes it a point to give his prescription on governance, apart from having customary photo shoots. Here are 10 key points that President Pranab Mukherjee told to these young civil servants on Tuesday:
1. Civil services examination is regarded as one of the toughest competitive examinations in the world. President then went on congratulating them on their success.
2. The civil services has a long history, and different services were created at different points of time to meet various exigencies.
3. The decision to join the civil services will provide you ample opportunity to serve the country and bear responsibilities even at a young age.
4. Indian Information Service provides opportunity to its officers to communicate proper information in the correct perspective with various stakeholders.
5. Knowledge is power and the basis of knowledge is information.
6. The skill of the Indian Information Service officers would depend on how effectively they are able to communicate information.
7. International trade is complicated today.
8. And the Indian Trade Service officers would face the challenge of making trade a more powerful engine of growth in the coming years.
9. The role of the Indian Posts and Telecommunication Accounts and Finance Service has undergone transformation over the years.
10. The Indian Posts and Telecommunication Accounts and Finance Service officers should be well equipped to meet the challenges they would face in their work.