THE appointment of senior bureaucrats at the Centre, something that requires the approval of PM-headed Appointments Committee of the Cabinet (ACC), always varies from month to month. But, with the DoPT releasing the appointments data of the month of August in numbers, one can make out an approximately monthly average. Here below are the total numbers of appointment of secretaries, joint secretaries, private secretary or OSD to ministers, PSU heads and also empanelment of señor bureaucrats during the month of August 2016:1. Appointment to 1 post of secretary.
2. Appointment to 25 posts of joint secretary.
3. Appointment to 12 posts of PS and OSDs to the ministers.
4. Appointment to 14 posts of Central Public Sector Enterprises (CPSE) — mostly CMD level— for which the approval of the Appointments Committee of Cabinet (ACC) is required.
5. Empaneling of 28 IAS officers of 1999 batch and 1 IPS officer of 1992 batch for joint secretary or equivalent posts at the Centre.
6. Also, 25 officers were retained under Central Staffing Scheme 2016 for appointment to deputy secretary or director level posts during the month of August.
The data released by DoPT in their August achievement report, does not however include the appointments of other officers belonging to Indian Foreign Service, IPS, IRS, IIS etc., for which DoPT is not the cadre-controlling authority. For example, Birender Singh Yadav, 1997 batch IFS and MEA joint secretary was appointed as High Commissioner of India to Ghana during August. Similarly, Ramawatar Meena, 1988 batch Indian Telecom Service officer, was appointed as director in Central Vigilance Commission (CVC) and Rajeev Kandpal, 1995 batch IP and TA and FS officer was appointed as director in department of industrial policy and promotion (DIPP) — all in August. And such appointments were not included in the appointment numbers.