|PM Modi during a meeting of Group of Secretaries, in New Delhi on Jan 12|
The first round of meeting was held on January 12. Ministers Rajnath Singh, Arun Jaitley and Sushma Swaraj as also Vice Chairman of NITI Aayog Arvind Panagariya, besides all secretaries to the Group were present there.
Here are 10 developments of the meeting:
1.The secretaries presented their ideas and suggestions on energy conservation and efficiency to Prime Minister Narendra Modi. During the 70-minute interaction, PM had said that the "vast expertise" of the Secretaries in various domains of the governance should now be leveraged to bring about "breakthroughs, rather than incremental change".
2. "As a follow-up to Prime Minister's exhortation to secretaries to come up with ideas for transformative change in various areas of governance, the first Group of Secretaries (out of eight groups) presented their ideas and suggestions on Energy Conservation and Efficiency to the Prime Minister," a PMO statement said.
3. "During and after the presentation, several members of the audience, including the Prime Minister asked questions related to the theme of the presentation, and gave their suggestions," the statement said.
4. The Prime Minister appreciated the presentation and said that the secretaries had completed their assignment much the same way that he had envisaged. Modi also appreciated the interjections and suggestions, and complimented all those involved in the presentation.
5. With his thrust on "transformative change", the Prime Minister has set up eight groups of Secretaries for focussed attention on various areas.
6. The subjects on which the groups have been set up include 'Good Governance - challenges and opportunities', 'employment generation strategies', 'farmer-centric initiatives in agriculture and allied sectors', 'education and health - universal access and quality', 'innovative budgeting and effective implementation', 'accelerated growth with inclusion and equity', 'Swachch Bharat and Ganga rejuvenation' and 'energy efficiency and conservation'.
7.One Secretary will act as a Rapporteur in each group and moderate the group meetings.
8.The groups were set up as a follow-up to Modi's interaction will all the secretaries to the government of India on December 31. In the meeting, Modi asked bureaucrats to "get cracking" to deliver results and ensure "transformative change" with focus on improving the lives of people.
9.Two of these groups made a presentation to him on January 13. These are 'Good Governance' group whose rapporteur is Information Technology Secretary JS Deepak and 'energy efficiency' group whose Rapporteur is Shipping Secretary Rajive Kumar.
10.It would be followed by presentations from three groups on January 15 and remaining three groups on January 17.