P Manivannan, 1998 batch Karnataka cadre IAS and MD of Water Supply and Drainage Board of Karnataka, 2006 batch Chhattisgarh cadre IAS Alex Paul Menon, IRS officer K Balamurugan, IRTS officer Raja Durai, IPS officer Saravanan, who is SP in Tamil Nadu’s Dindugal district. They also gave their personal mobile numbers and released a WhatsApp (9880655555) and telegram number (7259760333). The helpline 08040001000 has 12 lines altogether.
As Chennai flood situation had worsen on Wednesday, many including victims and their relatives took to social media platforms to inform these civil servants. Let’s take a few such messages to understand the situation:
1. “Dear sir - one of my friends family struck there so far he couldn't reach them - could you please pass on this to rescue team ---Only 2 or 3 hrs to survive! (2nd Dec - 11 AM) URGENT Help! Dear friends, My family (5 Members) and other families got stuck in the flood in a community at
2. “Already my house and other houses got completely vanished inside. Need help to rescue them as the water level keep increasing due to the outflow from chembarambakkam dam. Any help on rescue with boat will save 70+ lives (Age old, Special Children, Kids and others) thr.......Please”
3. “A friend of mine is stranded in VELACHERY! She is PREGNANT with her due date this week.. We haven't been able to contact her or her family as there is no current! We absolutely do not know wat their status is! Chennai teams! We are in Bangalore and not able to do anything! Please help! Please!! This is their address…”
4. “90yr old grandma with them. If someone could help in transporting them to a hotel or accommodation with supplies, we would be grateful…”
5. “Already my house and other houses got completely vanished inside. Need help to rescue them as the water level keep increasing due to the outflow from chembarambakkam dam. Any help on rescue with boat will save 70+ lives (Age old, Special Children, Kids and others) thr.......Please share .....URGENT as the water level reached the maximum floor and rapidly raising.... Every one with death fear and struggling to get help to survive,,,”
BoI congratulates each member of the Chennai Flood Virtual Communication Room who set an example for others to emulate in future. If anyone knows the names and designation of all the 15 bureaucrats involved in this noble cause, kindly post it in the comment box below. We will update this post with their names.