1. New cabinet secretary Pradeep Kumar Sinha is a 1977 batch IAS of UP cadre. He will first join as OSD in cabinet secretariat and then take charge as cabinet secretariat on June 13, 2015.
2. Sinha would have retired on July 31, 2015. Now, he will get a fixed two-year tenure. And if luck favours, his tenure may go up to four years. Two of his predecessors, KM Chandrasekhar and Ajit K Seth, got four years as the cabinet secretariat.
3. He is a post graduate in economics, MPhil in social sciences and a certificate holder of the French language.
4. He began his IAS career as an assistant collector in Allahabad in 1979. Since July 2013, he has been union power secretary.
5. He was a collector in Agra (1991-92) and Commissioner in Varanasi (1994-95), now PM Modi’s constituency.
6. In the late 1990s, he was first director and then joint secretary in Union ministry of sports and youth affairs.
7. He was vice chairman of Meerut Development Authority (1992-94) and Additional CEO of Greater Noida Development Authority (2003-4).
8. During most of the UPA time, he was in the petroleum ministry. Between 2004 and 2012, Sinha was in petroleum ministry, first as joint secretary, then additional secretary and then special secretary.
9. Prior to joining in power ministry, he served as union shipping secretary between February 2012 and June 2013.
10. Like predecessor Ajit K Seth, newly appointed cabinet secretary too is an alumnus of Delhi’s St. Stephen's college. The only difference is that Seth graduated in chemistry, Sinha in economics.