1. An MSc in physics from Allahabad University, Tripathi originally hails from Uttar Pradesh.
2. But, as this 1980 batch IAS belongs to Assam-Meghalaya cadre, he spent most of his productive years not near the river Ganga, but in the valley of river Brahmaputra.
3. He began his career as an SDO in Marigaon, now a district headquarters in Assam.
4. Later, he became deputy commissioner in districts of Lakhimpur and Golaghat.
5. At the Centre, he was deputy secretary in rural development, private secretary to steel minister and director in tourism ministry.
6. His 5-year-long tenure in department of public enterprises (DPE) as joint secretary, from 2005 to 2010, turned handy when he was named secretary, DPE in September last year.
7. Earlier, Tripathi also served as secretary to Central Vigilance Commission and headed the anti-corruption watchdog when the then CVC Pradeep Kumar retired.
8. Taking sabbaticals from the service, Tripathi did an MBA from Slovenia in 1993.
9. He knows many languages: English, Hindi, Assamese, Bengali and yes, Sanskrit.
10. Tripathi will retire in June 2018.