1. Goyal was joint secretary in the ministry of home affairs for seven years, from September 2002 to December 2007. That means, he also worked under LK Advani who was union home minister during the Vajpayee-led NDA government.
2. In the home ministry, he handled among others the key subject of internal security.
3. During the UPA-II, Goyal was first additional secretary in the health ministry between 2010 and 2012.
4. In 2012-13, he was with the cabinet secretariat, first as additional secretary and then special secretary.
5. Goyal was appointed as rural development secretary in October, 2013, and has been handling that ministry so far.
6. He will turn 60 in May this year, and hence he would have retired from the service had he not been appointed as home secretary and given a two-year tenure posting.
7. In Kerala, he served as principal secretary, finance, among many other postings.
8. This Kerala cadre IAS originally hails from the state of Haryana.
9. Graduated in commerce stream, Goyal did law before entering into IAS.
10. He can speak English, Hindi, Punjabi and Malayalam.