NO more buying of SX4, Ford Fiesta for Central government babus! In a strict finance ministry order dated
July 11, 2011, the “purchase of vehicles including those against condemnation of the existing vehicles, will not be permitted.” The order signed by new expenditure secretary Sumit Bose however exempted operational requirements of defence forces, Central paramilitary forces and security related organizations.
The finance ministry has further put restrictions on foreign junkets and foreign study at government expenses. The order said that the higher level officers are discouraged to travel abroad, and “officers of the appropriate level dealing with the subject are sponsored.”
Here are the sets of restrictions in government’s new austerity drive meant mainly for bureaucrats.
* It would be the responsibility of the secretary of each ministry or department to ensure that foreign travel is restricted to most necessary.
* Ministries or departments would lay down quarterly ceilings based on the annual budget under foreign expenses which they may not exceed during the quarter in question.
* Where travel is unavoidable, it will be ensured that officers of the appropriate level dealing with the subject are sponsored instead of those at higher levels. The size of delegation and the duration of visit will be kept to absolute minimum.
* Proposals for participation in study tours, workshops, conferences, seminars, presentations at government costs will not be entertained except those that are fully funded by sponsoring agencies.
* There will be total ban on creation of Plan and Non-Plan posts, except for new organizations which are set up during the course of the current year based on already approved schemes.
Action and Appointments
The government has launched a drive to fill up backlog of vacancies of Scheduled Castes, Scheduled Tribes and OBCs and Persons with Disabilities by
March 31, 2012. Two earlier drives launched in 2008 and 2009 respectively enabled various offices to fill up about 26750 such vacancies.