INDIAN RAILWAYS (IR) has a deeper meaning than being a mere transportation system, said President Pranab Mukherjee when he had interacted with a group of probationers of various Indian railway services — Indian Railway Service of Engineers, Indian Railway Service of Mechanical Engineers and Railway Protection Force — at Rashtrapati Bhavan on Tuesday. President also reminded the probationers that they are not in Indian Railways merely for earning a livelihood, but for making a meaningful contribution to the nation. Based on the statement issued by Rashtrapati Bhavan, BoI here presents 8 major points that President Mukherjee made while addressing the young officer-trainees:
1. Indian Railways has a deeper meaning than being a mere transportation system. It integrates far-flung areas of the country.
2. Like the Indian Post Office, it is one of the few organizations in the country which have a truly national character having influence over the whole country.
3. Railways is not only one of the largest rail networks in the world but one of those which are well managed. (Railways has 66,000 km of route length and carries 23 million passengers daily).
4. Probationers need to remember that they were not merely earning their livelihood but were making a meaningful contribution to the nation.
5. Probationers must always show ingenuity, innovation and initiative while discharging their duties.
6. Indian Railways is not just another commercial organization, as it supports the needy when required (social responsibility).
7. IR has the tremendous responsibility of economic development of the country.
8. The challenges that IR faces are manifold: ensuring safety, security and punctual running of trains.