|An all-party meet in New Delhi on quota in promotion of govt jobs|
• Supreme Court in the case of UP Power Corporation Ltd Vs Rajesh Kumar & Others struck down provision of reservation in promotion to SCs and STs in UP
• Supreme Court in its judgment on Indra Sawhney case dated November 16, 1992 held that reservation in promotion is ultra vires but allowed its continuation for five years from the date of judgment as a “special case”.
• The 77th amendment to the Constitution (1995) inserted clause (4A) to Article 16 to continue reservation for SCs and STs in promotion.
• Clause (4A) of the Constitution was modified through 85th amendment to give benefit of consequential seniority to SC/ST candidates promoted by reservation.
• Government often launches Special Recruitment Drives to fill up backlog vacancies reserved for SCs, STs and OBCs. In 2004, more than 60,000 backlog reserved vacancies were filled up. The Special Recruitment Drive, 2008 resulted in filling up of 43,781 vacancies.
• By 82nd amendment to the Constitution, a proviso was incorporated in Article 335 of the Constitution which enabled the state to give relaxations or concessions to the SC and ST candidates in the matter of promotion.
• During the recent past the Supreme Court has struck down reservation in promotion in some states.
• Samajwadi Party and National Conference have opposed the government’s move to bring in Constitutional amendment for reservation in promotion of government servants.
• The government may bring in a bill in current session of Parliament itself.
• It remains to be seen how Supreme Court reacts to such a political overture.
Action and Appointments
a) Depinder Singh Dhesi, a 1982 batch Haryana cadre IAS, presently joint secretary in the department of commerce, has been appointed as Director General, Directorate General of Supplies and Disposals, in place of AK Mangotra, a 1978 batch Manipur-Tripura cadre IAS.
b) Girish Shankar, a 1982 batch Bihar cadre IAS, presently joint secretary in the department of food and public distribution, has been appointed as additional secretary in the ministry of tourism in place of Sanjay Kothari, a 1978 batch Haryana cadre IAS.