Friday, September 09, 2011

School of Thought: More schools may come up in corrupt bureaucrats' houses

The IAS officer's confiscated house at Bailey Road, Patna 
Students enjoy the spoils of suspended babu – is what one of the national dailies gave a headline to Bihar CM Nitish Kumar’s politically brilliant idea of converting suspended 1981 batch IAS Shiv Shankar Verma’s Patna mansion into a school for Dalit children. As children were puzzled to find a new environment, a three-story house with marbles from Rajasthan and furnished with expensive interiors, Bihar chief minister was reportedly “excited” over the development and vowed to humiliate more corrupt bureaucrats in this innovative fashion.
With 16 more such cases of confiscation in the pipeline, the question is whether Bihar CM would succeed in creating more such schools.
Meanwhile, Verma has reportedly moved the Supreme Court, challenging Patna high court order of August 19, 2011, upholding the confiscation of his property under the provisions of Bihar Special Courts Act, 2009. Originally hailing from UP, Verma has been under suspension from July 2007 after Special Vigilance Unit raided his place and assets worth about Rs 1.4 crore were unearthed.
According to media reports, 361 of 3,321 primary schools in Patna district alone do not have buildings of their own. Armed with a new legislation, chief minister Kumar said he would like to see more schools run from palatial buildings of corrupt government officials.
As Kumar’s earlier move of keeping bureaucrats’ list of properties in public domain forced the Centre to do the same for its own officers, it remains to be seen whether New Delhi too comes up with a better idea of what to do with confiscated properties of corrupt bureaucrats.

Babus in Demand: NAC needs desk officer
UPA chairperson Sonia Gandhi-headed National Advisory Council is looking for a Desk Officer who could either be a serving officer on deputation or a section officer who has retired in the last six months, or is about to retire. Whereas the serving officers need to apply through the government channel, the retired officer can send his application straight to Under Secretary, NAC, 2 Motilal Nehru Place, Akbar Road, New Delhi, or email it to

No comments:

Post a Comment